Spain: Moroccan Troops Thwart Another Migrant Attempt to Storm Spanish Border

Spread the love
-EFE

In the wake of the recent storming of the Spanish enclave of Ceuta (on the North African coast), in which some 70,000 migrants entered the enclave illegally (most have since returned), Spanish authorities had information that another wave was expected today. Sure enough, hundreds attempted to storm into Ceuta, but this time, they were thwarted by Moroccan troops. Reportedly, 111 people were arrested by Moroccan authorities, two of whom were Moroccans and 109 were Sub-Saharan Africans.

The article below by the Spanish newspaper El Independiente is translated by Fousesquawk. Curiously, the Moroccan French-language newspaper, Le Matin, says nothing about the incident.

CEuta and Melilla

Morocco says it has intercepted hundreds of migrants trying to reach Ceuta

Moroccan security forces on Saturday thwarted an attempt to cross illegally into the Spanish city of Ceuta by hundreds of migrants, mostly sub-Saharans, who had been hiding on the outskirts of the border city of Fnideq (Castillejos in Spanish).

Moroccan security sources told EFE that the incident took place in a mountainous area, on the outskirts of Castillejos and southwest of Ceuta. According to the same sources, the Moroccan agents dispersed the migrants, who remain in the area.

Meanwhile, in recent days the border has been reinforced with the installation of a fence in the final section of the breakwater, where previously there was only the breakwater, and a floating barrier, both containment elements to allow the rejection at the border of migrants who try to swim by sea after the Supreme Court ruling that prevented them (from entering) in this way.

The Ministry of the Interior, for its part, has reinforced the city by land, sea and air with about 150 officers of the National Police and the Civil Guard.

Among the troops sent are three groups of the Reserve and Security Group (GRS) of the Civil Guard, each of them composed of 18 agents and a sergeant, as well as a group of the Police Intervention Unit (UIP) of the National Police, made up of 50 troops.

In addition to this land deployment, there are resources aimed at reinforcing surveillance and actions in the maritime field, including the Civil Guard’s Río Segura patrol boat, which has been deployed to Melilla with a crew of 25 people.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *